Friday 9 September 2016

WITHOUT NUMBERS( PART 1-The horror)


All through the ages, no intellectual endeavour has been more important to those studying physical science than has the field of mathematics. But mathematics is often believed to be a tool or language for science. It is also an end in itself, and as such, it has over centuries affected our world view in its own right.

 Numbers are one such invention of mankind. But I have often wondered what would it be if we didn't have numbers. If we didn't invent it at all. How different would the world be? Looking at my clock I see numbers. Hence if I didn't have numbers, will I be able to know time. When I say not knowing numbers, it means not able to understand the concept of "value" and not being able to associate yourself to words like "larger than" or " smaller than ". Then I am forced to rethink " Are numbers really an invention or a discovery?". That's when this happened...

 Many years ago, I used to teach math to a class of grade one students. Among all the kids I taught in my life, this one student I will always remember. The memory still sends chills down my spine.

 He was the young Joiston Reich. He was older than the rest and completely isolated himself from the class. He had difficulties doing his work on time. While other students took part in fun activities conducted, he sat alone staring into space. He always seemed terrified.

 I have always seen kids with particular dislike towards math but this was different. His eyes didn't flash of terror due to lack of comprehension rather it displayed apprehension and disbelief. He was always confused and lost.
One particular chilly winter day, all my students covered in their new winter clothing, sat waiting for their parents to come and pick them up for the christmas break. I see Joiston doesn't have his muffler or woollen clothing.
Feeling sorry I go up to him and ask "Son, are you feeling cold ?"
He looks up at me. That look was so frightful. The look was colder than that of winter's cold. I took a step back. He was now looking beyond me into space contemplating. I decide it is wise to let him be. I smile and wondered why this ordinary school boy was difficult.
Breaking the ice, he suddenly asks " Excuse me, (long pause) What are numbers? Are they real?"
Puzzled me " Well,(longer pause) numbers are something we created to count to see how much of something or how little of something we have and.."
He - " So they exist in our minds. We created something that exists in our minds? They are not the reality of the world right ? Just like Hogwarts or unicorns or tooth-fairies?"
Surprised that this boy is asking questions beyond his age and maybe beyond my wisdom.
I reply slowly " But numbers are everyone's reality. True you don't see them like rest of the fictional stuff. But they are not arbitrary products of one person's imagination. They are as real as you and me."
That moment Joiston was no longer a kid.
 He told me " I don't have that reality. When you tell me "that is bigger than this", I don't understand. I don't see the minutes tick nor do I feel it. I can count but I only know them as words not as value you give them. I think they are like colours and I am blind. They tell you about the beauty of the world that is meant to be extracted. I am not aware of my age. i am not aware of the beginning or the end. Is it early or too late. Is it hot or cold. I never know if it is question or questions. When to say a lot or when it is too little. I don't even know what is when. The reality of number is not something we are born with that is why we are all taught how to count. But as much as we are taught, we are also born seeing how it is real and engraved in our intuition. Hence I don't think its just simple creation of mankind, it is something that was waiting to be found. But it is not real for me. I must be fictional then."
He stops, looks at the clock in the hope to see something for the first time and then walks towards the door leaving me shell shocked. That is the last time I saw him.
To be continued...               


No comments:

Post a Comment